JOHN WILKINSON was for 25 years a trial attorney, litigator and partner at Donovan Leisure Newton & Irvine. For most of the same period, he was also in charge of Donovan Leisure’s public service (pro bono) program.
John is currently a full time arbitrator and mediator. He has been the mediator in hundreds of complex commercial cases, as well as numerous pro bono mediations as a member of the mediation panels of four different courts.
John serves on the panels of neutrals of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the CPR Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (“CPR”) (national and international panels); the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre and the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration and Mediation.
Among John’s various activities are the following:
· He is an AAA Master Mediator (1 of 9 in New York State).
· He is a frequent speaker on arbitration and mediation.
· He has written numerous articles and chapters on dispute resolution and was editor and
co-author of the ADR Practice Book (John Wiley & Sons), which (with Linda Singer) shared CPR'S award and honorarium for best dispute resolution book of the year.
· John served as Chair of the New York State Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section (2013-14) and twice served as Chair of the Section’s Mediation Committee (2008-10, 2015-present).
· Along with Josh Stulberg, he was on a six person committee that revised the Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators.
John has been recognized in a number of well known publications, including: New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal, New York Magazine, American Lawyer and Who’s Who in the World.
John received his B.A. from Williams College and his LLB from Fordham Law School, where he was an editor of the Law Review and received awards for the highest grades in eight courses.
John lives in New York with his wife of 50 years (Mia). They have two children, Heather and Carter. More information can be found at John’s website www.johnwilkinsonlaw.com
In addition to receiving the 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award, the College takes great pride in welcoming John as Fellow Emeritus.
Steve has been a member since 2005, has served on the Board of Directors, and continues in his support of the on-going work of the College.